Sunday 25 October 2015

Guide to Europe: One Year Later


This time last year I was struggling with some pretty severe post-Europe withdrawals, and I'm sad to say, they haven't left. My posts have been sparse as of late because this last month has been a dry spell for inspiration. To try and scoop myself out of this rut I thought I'd share with you some of my pictures, reflections and a few bucket list items from my six week trip around Europe in 2014.
London
London
London
Paris
Paris
Paris
Paris

Highlights - Must Do in Europe:
 London: See something at the theater. I saw War Horse, which I was familiar with, but the atmosphere and experience was enough in itself. Splash out on a fancy glass of wine during intermission.
France: I will never forget Bastille Day at the Champs de Mars, however that's not available all year round. Buy a painting, or get your portrait done (or both!) at Montmartre's artists square.
Italy: Take a gondola ride through the canals of Venice. If that's a little too clique for you, make a trip to Pompeii and spend the day walking around the ancient city.
Germany: Live off pretzels, hoard pretzels in your hotel room, your luggage, everywhere. Go and see the Berlin wall, and take a picture in the vintage photobooth.
Poland: Fall in love with your hotel concierge. Walk through Schindler's factory, even if you're not a big history fan, it's an incredible place.
Amsterdam: Walk through the markets and have a fresh stroopwafel. Visit the Van Gogh museum, and definitely listen to the audio tour, it's well worth it.
Greece (Athens): Visit the National Gardens, for someone who didn't wholeheartedly enjoy Athens, this place definitely put a smile and some serenity back into me.
Greece (Santorini): Jump off a boat and swim out to the hot springs (even if you're as terrified as I was). Take advantage of the strong cocktails, and the fact that you can have them delivered to you while you laze on the beach.
Rome
Germany (Berlin)
Germany (Berlin)
Poland (Krakow)
Food for Thought - Must Eat in Europe:
 London: You honestly cannot go wrong with a classic English pub meal, this was our first and last meal washed down with a glass of Pimms. If you're vegetarian ask them to leave the meat off your plate and you'll still have a wonderful meal (well I did anyway).
France: One of my fondest memories is eating Paella at the market, with the band playing soft music and the Eiffel Tower right in front of me, but I don't think it can beat the crispy, beautiful Crème Brûlée.
Italy: Pizza, pasta, gelato, repeat. If you're in Rome, I'd go for pizza, if you're in Venice, I'd go for pasta, particularly gnocchi.
Germany: Obviously pretzels. Apple strudel and more pretzels.
Poland: Pastries, lots and lots of pastries.
Amsterdam: You absolutely cannot go wrong with a fresh stroopwafel, however for a different experience definitely try FEBO or "the wall", it's a range of beautiful Dutch fast food. You put your money in, and then collect your food from a hole in the wall. You have to try just for the experience.
Greece (Athens): I didn't get to eat much in Athens after getting sick, however I do have fond memories of a beautiful Meze plate filled with olives, halloumi, and dolmades to die for.
Greece (Santorini): In Santorini I fell in love with an incredibly large chunk of baklava, and again a nice meze or dip selection washed down with a strong cocktail.
Greece (Athens)
Greece (Santorini)
I'm already planning my next overseas trip (clue: Asia), and I promise that post won't appear an entire year later. 
I can't wait until I go back to Europe, hopefully not too far in the future and explore more!
Thanks for reading, xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template designed by Rainy Day