Wednesday 30 December 2015

Lessons of 2015

This was overall a really good year for me, I've grown a lot. I thought in reflection I'd write five lessons from this year.
  1. Dedicating time to things will lead to success. This is particularly in relation to my academics, where I had an extremely successful year being rewarded my first high distinction course results, as well as a 50/50 mark on an assessment. This year I dedicated more time than previously to my studies and it definitely paid off.
  2. Your creative work doesn't need protecting, (your own insecurities stop your work from shining). I was first told this in a talk I attended in March with Elizabeth Gilbert, and have since adopted it into my every day life. It's true, my poetry, pictures, anything I create doesn't need protecting, I realised that I needed to question and challenge my own insecurities to prevent my work from being hidden away forever. Take my favourite photographer as an example, Vivian Maier never shared her photographs with anyone, despite letters suggesting she knew they held some artistic talent. As a result, these beautiful negatives sat away in dusty boxes for years, not appreciated by anyone.
  3. You should never give up after one or two disappointing relationships. This year I had a number of relationships with guys that never progressed beyond a few first dates, and as anyone would, I got a little down about it. I became tired of opening my heart to new possibilities only to end up disappointed. I soon realised that none of those guys would have been right for me, and it was important that I learn that before I'm ready to meet the right person.
  4. Live in the little moments everyday. This lesson I picked up from my favourite novel from this year, Patti Smith's, 'M Train', which she wrote about nothing but random everyday moments and how the past interconnects and inspires our every day. Since reading this novel I've noticed myself becoming more present, incorporating the mundane everyday into my writing. 
  5. If you care about something, don't whisper, shout. This year I decided to leave my comfort zone and become more actively involved in the things I care about. I attended my first protest, and began spreading information about human and animal rights online. I realised the existence I was living before was one of quiet observance, watching things happen in the world around me without doing anything to change it.
This year was so incredible, but now that it's over I'm incredibly excited for 2016 and the possibility of new books, discovering new people and places, and experiencing new things. 
Wishing anyone reading a safe, happy, successful new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template designed by Rainy Day