Tuesday 24 May 2016

Rethinking Your Period: Thinx Review

 I remember the day I got my period, my mother went into her bathroom, showing me various sanitary products, and instructing me on how to use them. Needless to say, for a young girl, the thought of using tampons, or sitting through the discomfort of a pad was intimidating and confronting. Mum was sympathetic, yet there wasn't much else she could say apart from, "there's nothing you can do, it's only one week in a month".
A few periods later and Mum took me to the doctors, worried about some extreme discomfort I was experiencing. I couldn't sleep and I couldn't sit still; I was allergic to sanitary products. This is not surprising when you consider what's in our pads and tampons: odour neutralizers, adhesives, polyethylene, polypropylene, and propylene glycol. The chemicals in our sanitary products are affecting our bodies, having been linked to hormone disruption, birth defects, infertility and cancer (LINK). I found comfort in wearing organic cotton products, however even these are difficult to find unbleached. 
For a long time, sanitary items have been declared a luxury item in Australia, while items such as condoms are considered necessary and are thus tax free (LINK). The money hungry nature of the sanitary product industry alone should make us question how these products are manufactured. 
 I can honestly say my life was changed when I saw a review online for Thinx period panties, it was almost too good to be true. I was quick to order a pair of Hiphuggers, the lines most absorbent product, able to hold up to two tampons worth of liquid. I can honestly say I had never been excited for my period until these underwear arrived in the mail.
How they work: Thinx underwear have four layers: moisture wicking - anti-microbial - absorbent - leak-resistant. The underwear come with a sheet explaining the purpose of each layer. You wear the underwear throughout your day and once home you rinse the blood from the absorbent area and set aside until you're ready to wash (without fabric softener which may compromise the absorbent material).
How they feel: Once on these underwear just feel like a good, sturdy pair of regular panties, it was only towards the end of a six hour stint (during a heavy day) that I began to feel any kind of wetness. I never once felt the anxiety I would often feel wearing pads in regards to leakage, and the absorbent layer didn't seem to expand or feel any different throughout the day. 
Beyond your product: Not only do you get an incredible pair of period underwear, the company send funds to AFRIpads in Uganda, who sell washable, reusable pads, resulting in young girls being able to attend school during their cycle, as well as providing meaningful employment to women involved in the sewing and selling of these pads. 
With the Australian dollar sitting where it is, a pair of Hiphuggers will set you back around $47. However, these are an investment item, considering an average women using a combination of pads and tampons (as I was previously) will typically spend around $120.54 on sanitary products every year (LINK). The company also offer discounted prices when you purchase a cycle set.
Check out the website, share with your friends, and make experiencing a period a whole lot safer and more comfortable! They are better for your body, better for the environment, and definitely better for your peace of mind.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic article and very informative. I will certainly be looking into these for my little one just starting this journey. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About time, I had bad allergies and had to put up with it!! Where do i get these for my Daughters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy these from the Thinx website, http://www.shethinx.com/ :)

      Delete

Template designed by Rainy Day